So here I am back again … still methodically making my way along the beginners’ path, learning how to use Lightroom, and finding out how it can best help me organize my scrapping photos and supplies. This post will look at what I have done in regards to importing my print quality layouts into LR.
I’ve chosen to import my 8 x 8 inch, 300 dpi layouts in with my scrapping supplies, into their own folder called 01_Layouts. I’ve been a digi-scrapper for almost eight years, and before I started designing, I was a prolific scrapper, often creating a page a day. I have almost 2000 layouts squirreled away on my hard drive, and this was a great opportunity to drag them out, dust them off and organize them. Oh my, such a lot of layouts!!! BTW, I’m only halfway through the task of importing my layouts, hence the 974 that you can see.
Why import layouts into Lightroom … the main reason I wanted my layouts in LR was because I want to be able to quickly create photo books with my layouts; how easy will it be to search for all the layouts of my daughter created between 2004 and 2008, or for all the layouts of our surfing holidays or skiing trips. When the layouts are keyworded, it will only take seconds to grab all the print quality pages and whip up a coffee table book.
Renaming my layouts … as the layouts have been created over a number of years, the way I have named the files has varied a little, so I took this opportunity to rename them, using a fantastic tool in Bridge … it took me just a few minutes to rename all 2,000 layouts!
First of all, I copied all the layouts from a year into one folder. Then I decided on a naming structure, opened Bridge, selected the folder and then selected all the layouts for that year. Then I clicked on Tools, Batch Rename, and made the following selections …
And that’s all there was to it! Can you imagine how long it would take to rename all 2,000 file names, one by one by one … ? I’m tired, just thinking about it!
Keywording layouts … now, I chose to do things a little differently at this stage … as I knew I would be away from my main computer and LR for a few days, I chose not to immediately import the newly named layouts into LR and then keyword them.
Instead, I copied the layouts onto my laptop, and then during some free time while I was away from home and my main computer, I opened each layout in PS CS5 and went to File, File Info, and added my keywords into the Keyword field. I then saved the layout.
Then, when I was back at my computer, I imported the layouts into LR and the keywords were automatically updated/added into LR.
Keywords … I spent some time thinking about the way I wanted to ‘find’ my layouts in LR, and created my keywords accordingly. What I want to do is to find layouts of my family for specific years, and of events/holidays easily, so I when creating keywords I used their names and the year, i.e. Natasha2003, Sharon2009. I added the date to events that rolled around regularly, i.e. Christmas2007, Easter2010. And of course, there were the usual suspects, camping, heritage, pool, as well as names of friends and places.I added dates to the names because if I search by dates in LR, I won’t find the layouts I want to find, as the dates on the page are very different to the dates they were created. This is my understanding, and I’m happy to be corrected if this is wrong.
Something I love … the great thing is even if I make a mistake and create a keyword that I really don’t like later on down the track, it is super easy to edit and change in LR. I don’t feel as if anything is final or written in stone.
If you are still with me, thank you! Next time I will share what I am doing with my photos in LR. Happy scrapping, happy organizing, happy days … 🙂